no. 25 - Everybody Works by Jay Som

            I’m kind of skipping ahead here, but I haven’t really had much to say about the bands I planned to write about these past two days. That, and I was too tired[1] to write, so I gave myself a little break. However, it’s a beautiful, warm, sunny day, and I’m sitting in my sun-filled living room with my sleepy cat, and I think today’s album is a perfect match to my afternoon.

When I listen to this album, I think of my time in New Zealand. I was there for five months, and it was the first time I went into a new environment using they/them pronouns. I decided to be as unflinching as I could be in defending myself and correcting people when they misgendered me. It felt like a practice run; a long-term experiment that I would get to back out of at the end of the semester. A test, to see if I could live as myself in a new environment with my support system on the other side of the world and in a completely opposite time zone. It was hard, and most of the time I was deeply depressed, but as always, I look back on that time now with romanticized nostalgia.

I lived in Palmerston North, in the dorms at Massey University. Every week or so, I would hop on a bus that took me from the campus into town. I’d pack my bags full of groceries and drive through the suburban houses nestled in lush mountains back to my tiny dorm room. Often, I would make the trip with friends, but on the occasions I went alone, I always played this album. “The Bus Song” is, of course, the anthem for my time on the bus back and forth from campus to the city center. Jay Som has the ability to make such dreamy music. It feels like I’m always put in a trance of some kind when I listen, even if it’s a faster-paced song.

While I was in New Zealand, I was also falling in love. James and I were writing letters and sending care packages to each other between New Zealand and Baltimore. Despite being as far away as I could possibly be, my feelings for him were getting stronger. This album feels like the soundtrack to that tentative, giddy, growth of the time.

The next few albums I write about will be based on my time in New Zealand. All of it feels marked by the beautiful landscape, the strange adventures, and the people I met. Each album corresponds to a snapshot of a place I have in my brain, whether it’s the bus, the tunnel below the overpass that led to my dorm, or the walking trails around the campus. My time there was lonely and difficult, but it also had a massive impact on who I am and how I stick up for myself. I learned how to advocate for myself while living there, so even if I cried at least every week[2], it was worth it.

Listen to Jay Som. And while you do, think about the ways you can stand up for yourself. Think of the ways you transition, whether it’s on a bus from campus to town, or within your body from one gender to another.



[1] Friday night I was too tired. Saturday night I was unexpectedly very drunk and busy playing Harry Potter-themed Clue. Fuck JK Rowling tho. 

[2] I did cry at least every week.


                                                This picture is, of course, from New Zealand. 


Comments