no. 23 - My Woman by Angel Olsen

            The first time I heard Angel Olsen was on my first date with my partner, James. He drove to my college, we went on a walk, and then we saw Moana in theaters. On the drive there in his family minivan, he played My Woman, which had been released two months earlier.

James and I met on tinder, and most of our conversations revolved around music. He was the first person I dated who knew from the outset my pronouns were they/them. Really, he was the first person who had only known me by those pronouns. He was the first person I had introduced myself to as non-binary, my family and friends still in various stages of adjusting to my new preferences. After our first date, I looked up Angel Olsen and watched her video for “Shut Up Kiss Me” on repeat. James and I hadn’t kissed yet, our first date ending in a deeply awkward fist bump situation, but already I felt surprisingly comfortable with him. This album always reminds me of those first weeks of our relationship; the giddy rush to see each other as often as we could, driving next to him with the Barack Obama[1] scented air freshener that mingled with the smell of cigarettes and weed.

The first time I saw Angel Olsen live was with James and his mom. We saw her at the 9:30 club in DC where I accidentally bought a $20 cider. The next time I saw her was several years later, on what I still remember as a really lovely night. It was my second to last show before quarantine hit, and some acquaintances had saved seats for me and James, which was honestly the sweetest thing I could think of to do for someone at a sold-out theater show[2]. After the show, James and I got food at a late-night café, and it felt like those early days of our relationship. I felt comfortably giddy, excited at the possibility of being known by someone knew. Only this time, I felt grateful to be loved by someone who knew me completely, not just the possibility of it happening.

This album always has a special place in my heart. About two months after James and I started dating, we went long distance. I went to New Zealand for six months, and although we talked and exchanged letters often, this album reminds me of the anxiety I felt being away from someone I liked so much. Now, as I quarantine for two weeks in order to safely see my family for Christmas, having freshly said goodbye to James for our month apart, I’m re-listening to the album and feeling nostalgic and grateful. James and I haven’t been apart for this long since I went abroad, but we have a lot more going for us this time around, and I know it’ll be fine.

Listen to this album here

[1] I’m not kidding- it wasn’t even air freshener, it was technically “blunt spray”, and James had gotten it as a joke at a 7/11. I unironically loved the smell of it. He did not.

[2] Rail or fail is an individualistic way of life. If you don’t work to get to the rail, you don’t deserve it. No one will help you unless you earn it.



Comments