no. 6 - Either/Or by Elliott Smith

            Does anyone else have an album that symbolizes when they firsts started romanticizing mental illness? Because this is mine. It marks the beginning of my tumblr days where I would send anonymous messages to girls with eating disorders, telling them how jealous I was of their “resolve”. Despite that, I don’t fault this album.

I remember pre-gaming some “party” in a friend’s bedroom, taking sips of liquor I stole from my parents. I took a few inches from every bottle, mixing gin, tequila, bourbon, and vodka into one flask, hoping that if I spread it out, my parents wouldn’t notice. It worked, but at what cost? I still want to gag at the thought of that concoction. The night of the party, I had mixed it with flat ginger ale. I felt light and stupid and like there was some deep gloom just on the edge of the next day, and the only thing that would keep it at bay was to ignore it and drink and be with my friends.

My main problem was that I wanted to be mysterious. I wanted to be the manic-pixie-dream-girl who was fun and bubbly but held deeper, darker secrets that made her interesting. I wanted to be the main character in a John Green novel. Sometimes I think I manifested my mental illnesses by wanting to be like that, but realistically, I saw the MPDG as the only acceptable form for the anxiety and depression I felt. It had to be packaged and digestible, otherwise it was Too Much.

Either/Or was the album I loved while these thoughts formed solidity. Listening to this album these days makes me feel almost melancholic for the person I was at that time. I was deeply uncomfortable but didn’t know it yet. My main coping mechanism of powering through it was still working- that wouldn’t crumble for another few years. Even though I know I felt pressured, anxious, and awkward, I feel like this time was the calm before the storm. It wasn’t, I’d been anxious since at least seven years old, but this is right before the anxieties combined with puberty and expectations and peer pressure. I want to go back and comfort who I was, but there’s nothing I could say that would alter the course of what I became. I don’t think the younger me would listen to anything I would have to say now.

The first Elliott Smith song I loved was Between the Bars. Then Say Yes, and then 2:45am. I would try and stay up until 2:45am as often as I could, so I could post the lyrics on myspace and seem cool. I still sing the song to myself whenever I see the time, whether morning or night.

Elliott Smith is kind of the king of depression and mystery, especially when the events of his death are still disputed, but I’m glad I had him to keep me company while I grew into the same emotions.

You can listen to the album here




Comments