no. 11 - Rory Strong

            This post is more about a friendship than it is about a band, but Rory and I became friends because of the bands they were in. Rory is maybe the only person who has been physically by my side through high school, my punk phase, college, and now. They were a big part of the Maine DIY scene and a few projects that I really admired, and when I learned we were going to the same college we made a point of it to introduce ourselves. We didn’t become real friends until my first semester, where we spent weeks playing card games on my bed, listening to music and waiting for the awkwardness to subside.

With Rory being a bit of a celebrity in the DIY scene, that celebrity extended to college, so being friends with them felt like I was walking around with someone vaguely famous. It sounds pretentious, but in the way of college freshmen, Rory was more of a collective idea than they were a real person, mostly due to their performances at open mic nights. Because we knew each other before school began, it kind of felt like I knew the ~real~ person Rory was instead of the projection everyone else seemed to see. They’ve always been incredibly kind, and whenever we would walk around campus they would stop to say hi to almost everyone. What I especially appreciated was being able to see the way Rory wrote songs, because they are one of the best lyricists I’ve ever encountered. I felt so cool when something I said or did made it into a song, and relistening to those songs I still feel the same giddiness.

They would tour a lot with their old band Street Sity Surf, and occasionally they would all stay at my house. The band would stay at my parent’s house, all of us spending time rummaging through the bins of CD’s in the basement. I got my first stick n poke because of their influence[1]. If the band didn’t stay at my place, I’d drive over to see their shows and spend hours sitting with Rory after everyone else went to bed talking about books, finally going home at 4am or later still absolutely wired.

Rory and I didn’t talk for about three years, but we reconnected over the summer. I listening to Street Sity Surf and Rory’s other old band, Holy Shadow, and I called them out of the blue. It ended up that we were in the same city for about 30 hours, and we met up and continued our friendship like nothing had ever happened. Rory feels like my friendship soulmate. There’s an ease in our conversations that makes it clear we understand each other. They’re one of my best friends, one of my favorite artists, and a really fantastic person.

You can see all their projects including their current band Rory Strong and the Standard Candles herehere, or here. If you want some very fun beach-punk, Street Sity Surf is here. Holy Shadow is here

Projects of SSS alum Andrew Ring (the cool new guy from the last post who was my invite to my first punk show) can be found here (Snowhaus) and here (Deadmall). 

[1] I want to be clear that while I know this was a stupid thing to do, I do not regret it. I love that tattoo. Thanks Ella 😊




Comments